Books on Steve McQueen:
- Steve McQueen: Portrait of an American Rebel, by Marshall Terrill (re-released Nov. 7 2005) TO ORDER CLICK AD ABOVE.:
- My Husband, My Friend, by Neil McQueen Toffel (1986) TO ORDER FROM AMAZON.COM, CLICK HERE.
- McQueen, by William F. Nolan (1984) TO ORDER FROM AMAZON.COM, CLICK HERE.
- Steve McQueen: The Pocket Essential, by Richard Luck (2000)TO ORDER FROM AMAZON.COM, CLICK HERE.
- McQueen: The Untold Story of a Bad Boy in Hollywood, by Penina Spiegel (1986) TO ORDER FROM AMAZON.COM, CLICK HERE.
- Steve McQueen, The Final Chapter, by Grady Ragsdale (1983) TO ORDER FROM AMAZON.COM, CLICK HERE.
- Steve McQueen, The Unauthorized Biography, by Malachy McCoy (1975) TO ORDER FROM AMAZON.COM, CLICK HERE.
- Steve McQueen: Star On Wheels, William F. Nolan (1972) TO ORDER FROM AMAZON.COM, CLICK HERE.
- The Films of Steve McQueen, by Joanna Campbell (1978) TO ORDER FROM AMAZON.COM, CLICK HERE.
- The Complete Films of Steve McQueen, by Casey St. Charnez (1984) TO ORDER FROM AMAZON.COM, CLICK HERE. (previously titled "The Films of Steve McQueen," probably changed because the original title had been used)
- McQueen, by Tim Satchell, published by Sidgwick and Jackson (1981)
- McQueen, by Christopher Sanford (2000)
Steve McQueen: The Last Mile
Barbara McQueen’s photos put the reader inside Steve's world during the three and a half years they were together, from their first meeting in 1977 until his untimely death in 1980. Steve McQueen's life is captured in detail through her recollections and the hundreds of photos, that she personally took, that accompany her stories. Barbara, who was a top fashion model when she met Steve, reveals her unique life with him spent traveling the country, on the beaches of Malibu, and living in Santa Paula. She also photographed Steve on the set of Tom Horn and the Hunter. "The Last Mile" will make you feel as though you finally got to see what the real Steve McQueen was like. A must-have for any McQueen fan!
To order go to: Steve McQueen The Last Mile
"Steve McQueen features action shots of McQueen with his motorcycle buddies, in his fast cars, with his leading ladies and fellow actors, including scenes from several of his early and best films. One hundred black and white, and color images will appear in this unique book design commemorating one of the most compelling actors of the twentieth century. Steve McQueen is a photographic close-up of a great movie star, and a touching memory of a personal friendship." *
TO ORDER THIS BOOK, Steve McQueen: Photographs by William... CLICK HERE
Steve McQueen William Claxton. 9"x12". 176 Pages. 100 Duotone and 20 four color plates. (ISBN:1-892041-37-5) $60.00.
*From Arena Editions Website located at arenaeditions.com .
The book Road & Track called
“One of the best racing event books I’ve ever read...
This truly is a remarkable work.”
On March 21, 1970, the greatest drivers and racecars in the world gathered at an old WW II airfield in the middle of Florida orange groves to participate in the 12 Hours of Sebring - Andretti, Gurney, Ickx, Redman, Rodriguez, Siffert, Parkes, Elford, Cevert. Porsche 917's, Ferrari 512's, Matra 650's, Alfa Romeo T-33's. Little did they know that they were about to particpate in, what some have called, "one of the most exciting endurance races ever."
Against the might of the factory teams, an out-classed Porsche 908 driven by Peter Revson and Steve McQueen suddenly found itself in a position to win the race. What transpired at the end is now a part of motor racing legend.
Take a trip back in time as the story of this memorable race is told through photographs and the remembrances of people who were there!
For more information or to order, CLICK HERE!
Bentley Publishers announces the publication and availability of ex-racer and acclaimed motor sports photographer and author Michael Keyser's "A French Kiss with Death: Steve McQueen and the Making of LeMans: The Man, The Race, The Cars, The Movie." This exciting new hardcover book from Bentley is part celebrity biography, part motor sports and part movie making.
TO ORDER THIS BOOK, A French Kiss with Death CLICK HERE
Hardcover - 464 pages 1st edition (November 1999) Bentley Publishers; ISBN: 0837602343 ; Dimensions (in inches): 1.55 x 10.85 x 8.40
- There is also a comic book, the third in a very popular Belgian comic book series titled "Dossier Michel Vaillant" by Denis Asselberghs and Jean Graton. This book focuses on Steve McQueen and his obsession for racing. It contains many rare pictures of Steve McQueen racing both cars and motorcycles with comic drawings dealing with events from McQueen's life as well as the cars used in his films. Below is a picture of the cover.
(Thanks to Patrick Jongejan of the Netherlands for the information on this book)
The Cooler King, by Dwayne Epstein. Fujico Miller (illustrator). Artesian Press; ISBN: 1586590618; (Nov. 2000). This is a fiction book for school kids where Steve McQueen plays a very central role in the story. The book is part of series of books to help at-risk students learn how to read. TO ORDER FROM AMAZON.COM, CLICK HERE!
Japanese and French books on Steve McQueen:
(Thanks to Vincent Daubigny of France for sending the following information)
- 1 - McQueen - The Hero. (isbn 4-8261-0080-9 c0074 p2060e) This is a Japanese book in Japanese. Here we find many photos (color+b&w) of Steve taken from his films.
- 2 - Steve McQueen. (isbn 4-8261-0009-4 c0074 p1950e) The same kind of book as #1.
- 3 - Steve McQueen. (isbn 4-8261-1002-2 c0074 p1540e) Similar to #1 but b&w photos only.
- 4 - Steve McQueen. (isbn 2.85336.067.9) AFrench book by Francois Guerif collection "tetes d'affiche" editor : PAC this a book about his films and his life with some b&w photos.
- 5 - Steve McQueen. A French book by Francois Guerif collection "les grands acteurs" editor : j'ai lu cinema similar to #4.
- 6 - Au Nom De La Loi : La Legende d'un Anti-Heros. (isbn 2-87795-085-9) In French by Jacques Viallon & Fabrice Rende DLM editions this is a book about "Wanted: Dead or Alive" giving a general description of it plus a precise description of each episode (topic+casting).
There are many books on McQueen, and all are very good. Steve McQueen: Portrait of an American Rebel, by Marshall Terril, seems to be one of the best.
Here is one of my favorite passages from this book:
Not one to socialize with the Hollywood crowd, Steve asked Pat Johnson and his wife, along with a then unknown Chuck Norris and his wife, to attend an event with him and Ali. "Everybody who was anybody in Hollywood was there," remembers Johnson. It was a black tie affair, but McQueen showed up in a plaid Benetton lumberjack shirt, blue jeans, boots, and a long beard.
Not once during the event did McQueen get up. Instead, everybody in the room came over to greet him like he was royalty. Says Pat Johnson, "The cream of the crop from Hollywood came over to Steve to shake his hand...it was like they were paying homage to him. They were all in awe of him. He was not in awe of anybody."
BIO FILMS QUOTES QUESTIONS MAGAZINES HOME LINKS